Saturday, September 15, 2007

Profile: Analucia Valenzuela

Welcome!!

This week I chose to focus on profiling a student at the University of Arizona. Here is her personal account of what life is like to be an Hispanic student at the UA, who was once enrolled in Mexico's schooling and now lives in an home that only speaks Spanish. Here is what we talked about!



Photo taken by Daniela Gallardo

Profile on Analucia Valenzuela

Name: Analucia Valenzuela
Age: 21
Year: senior
Major: Chemical Engineering
Where were you born: Nogales, Sonora Mexico

Were you born outside of the U.S. and if so, how long have you been in the U.S. for?
For the last 6 years.

How long were you in Mexico for until you left and enrolled in a U.S. school?
I went there until my junior year in High School. Then, I came to finish high School in Nogales AZ and after that UA.

When did your parents decide to move to the U.S. to provide a better education for you?
They decided that when I was in High School and [were]thinking about my education. The U.S. has one of the best systems of education and technology resources concerning [the]university level.

How has your experience in a Mexico school differed from schooling here in the U.S.?
Everyone spoke Spanish. The education system is different from the one here, and it was easier to express myself and be more involved in extracurricular activities [in Mexico].

What is the primary language used in your family's home?
100% Spanish

Do your parents speak primarily English or Spanish?
Both speak Spanish. They know a little bit of English, but just the basic stuff.

What kind of challenges have you faced as an Hispanic student at an American school?
I think it is hard in the beginning to come to a new place, to meet new people and to live and grow [on] our own. Once that stage has been passed everything is OK. It may be a little harder for Hispanic students because of the difference in culture and language.

Socially, have you encountered any challenges being an Hispanic student at the UA?
No, I think a lot of people at UA are open-minded towards Hispanic students.

How have classes here at the UA been challenging for you, especially difficult engineering classes that you are currently enrolled in when your primary language is not English?
I have to really pay attention to what the professor is saying in order to understand and learn. If I get distracted I don't get what they're saying. I get really nervous when I give presentations. Other than that everything is ok, I might have to work a bit more than other students (ex. If I don’t understand something I have to look it up)

Do you feel that the UA does a good job accommodating students like yourself, and other Hispanic students enrolled, academically?
Yes, The school has a big percentage of Hispanic [students]. UA has resources for Hispanic students and everyone is always willing to help. (Organizations Analucia has joined: Chicano/Hispano Student Affairs and Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers)

If you could label one challenge, in particular that has been the hardest for you while enrolled as a student in the U.S., what would that be?
Being able to speak English well. Also, getting used to the education system .

What do you plan on doing after you graduate? And, do you feel that your ethnicity will ever or has ever stopped you from accomplishing things?
I plan to find a good job and work in [an] industry. Maybe come back to school for a masters if the opportunity is offered. I don't think my ethnicity has stopped me at all. My ethnicity has helped me out in life by having a background, culture and values mixed with my current experiences.

How do your parents feel about what you are doing at the UA, learning English and all?
They are really proud of me.

Any other comments you would like to add?
I’m really happy that I got an opportunity to study in the US. I think that the education and all the help that is offered here is great. I maybe have to work harder because of the language or cultural difference but I think it’s worth it. Like I said before becoming bilingual and learning from different people and cultures made me grow as a person.

No comments: